Saturday, December 22, 2007

America and the American Dream


I remember hearing US Sen. Jack Kemp from NY talk about the "Gold Standard" back on Voice of America in the late 1980s. We used to connect our shortwave radion to the cable TV antenna lead to pull in Radio Moscow (in "special" English) and plenty of foreign news and music. We listened to the former NFL football player go on about how we didn't need a "rising dollar" nor a "falling dollar", but a stable dollar. Sometimes we do not completely understand what someone is talking about until years later, as in this case. I also found this in the NYT from 1988.
From the speech...
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm not running for President for the prize of prestige and power. I'm running because I want to challenge America -as no other candidate in our party will - to reach for our greatest potential. I believe in unlimited and boundless opportunity for our future."
Ah, the good old days...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home