Monday, January 23, 2006

RS v. Y 10-20-04?

Yesterday, I was looking for something and found something else... every so often this happens with comical, or tragic results. First the backgrounder, my folks are from just south of Pittsburgh and growing up in NY there was only one real NFL team, the Steelers, Franco's Italian Army, http://media3.steelers.com/article/40517/
Lynn Swan and Co. etc, Iron City, Old Frothingslosh, the pale stale ale with the foam on the bottom! http://media3.steelers.com/article/40517/
Anyway, I called my mother after they won last night and made it into the Superbowl, I knew I had a Steelers button in an old box of stuff somewhere. As I searched a video tape fell out from one box being moved, on it was my handwriting, "RS v. Y 10-20-04 / RS v. Cards #7 last outs"...!

WELL! I popped it in and there were the supreme expressions of joy for Red Sox Nation, a catharsis of the most profound kind as I became aware over time. Now I am not much of a sports fan really, I grew up a chubby kid and rarely participated beyond what was required to pass phys ed class and even then I had issues, so... time passes and I am mildly oblivious to it except for the big ones, the World Series, the Superbowl and sometimes basketball and hockey if I was betting with my friend from California. It was all for fun until he suggested I pay the couple hundred he thought I owed him when he was ahead, what an opportunist! That was around the time I got into NASCAR, then went to races in Watkins Glen NY, NH, Pocono PA, Dover Delaware, Sonoma CA, then went drag racing in my street car up and down the East Coast...
So there on the tape, at Yankee Stadium, recovering from a 0-3 deficit to win 4 games, the biggest come-from-behind performance ever, etc... the game ends 10-3 right after midnight and there was much rejoicing throughout all the land.

I remembered that night vividly, that night and the one that would come later reversing The Curse... me in a t-shirt and shorts and a red terrycloth robe, faded Red Sox hat circa 1986 and Dale Earnhardt bedroom slippers that look like little puffy race cars... we live two floors above a bar and there is screaming and yelling and the crowd flows into the sidewalk and for an hour or two everyone driving by beeps and waves and we are all in frenzy, I found a cigar and lit it up thinking, "How sweet it is!".
(fast forward tape)
There was also a political ad for John Kerry for President on the tape... and that brought up another whole series of memories.
I like how Chris Matthews characterized what is going on with Rep. John Murtha as "swiftboating"!
Very nice... Good luck Pittsburgh!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, air max, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, longchamp handbags, rolex watches, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, oakley sunglasses cheap, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton handbags, gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, cheap uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, uggs, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, ugg boots clearance, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach outlet store online, michael kors uk, new balance pas cher, michael kors outlet, north face, abercrombie and fitch, ralph lauren, nike air force, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike roshe run pas cher, air jordan, true religion jeans, louboutin, vans pas cher, sac guess, air max, hollister, sac burberry, michael kors, north face, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, air max, timberland, longchamp, nike air max, nike tn, converse pas cher, polo lacoste, coach outlet, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, replica handbags, ray ban pas cher, nike free pas cher, coach purses, hollister, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer, true religion outlet, lululemon outlet online, true religion jeans, air max pas cher, nike roshe, mulberry, sac hermes

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger rehabgad1 said...



Good write-up. I definitely love this site. Keep it up
http://prokr114.bravesites.com/
https://slashdot.org/~rehabgad/firehose
https://rehabgad.livejournal.com/
http://arabic-vb.com/
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home